Friday, September 16, 2005

Back in Septemvri

I've been kept quite busy here in Bulgaria for the past week.

On Friday the 9th, I visited an orphanage in Bratsigovo. Younger children are roomed in dormitories of approximately 7-10 children, and teens are accomodated in rooms with one roomate. The staff provided banitza (pastry filled with salty cheese) and soda for their guests, served by the friendly children. I was immediately surprised how homey the building was, how friendly and cheerful the children were, and how lovingly they regarded the director and orphanage staff. When I separated from the group, a boy perhaps 7 years old asked if I wanted to be shown to reception. I said yes and he grabbed my hand. I spoke to him in Bulgarian, asking how he was, and he said, "very well" and smiled at me. When we got to the reception room, he called me 'botko' (Big Brother). All of the children were similarly charming.

On Saturday and Sunday I was in Plovdiv to learn about EU accession, programmes, and funding. It was a friend's birthday, so we celebrated it there.

On Monday and Tuesday, I was in Pazardjik learning about banking, programming, life in Bulgaria, and my permanent placement for the next 2 years. I will be centered in Stara Zagora (CTAPA ZAĐ“OPA), working on programs in the local municipality and surrounding area involving youth organizations, health matters including AIDS/HIV prevention, ecologic and archaeologic study and preservation, and other tasks.

On Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I was introduced to Stara Zagora municipal leadership, the local youth parliament, and the city's wide range of resources. Earlier today (Friday), I attended a clinical psychology conference on the positive influence of art therapy in treatment of schizophrenia. The conference was held at a mental hospital in Radnevo, approximately 35 miles from Ctara Zagora. Very interesting.

I will move to Stara Zagora on the 27th of October.

3 Comments:

Blogger Steve Weis said...

Hi Alex. Kor Sunsky means something like Old Drunk, I believe? It means something like that in Russian.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alex! It is I, you sister! this is the first time I read you blog. it interesting. me talk more later.

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great to meet you over the weekend. Keep up the good work with the BG, etc. - Michael.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home