Sunday, July 30, 2006

The weekend

Friday night was lonely. After having had friends and my sister about me for so long, I was alone. It began with a run, though I was a bit sick from some food poisoning in the morning/afternoon. Rain fell in buckets from a blue-grey sky that had been clear just hours before. I took care of my site-mate's cat (Costantine - Costa) and headed home after 10. Down the street from my apartment, I found the body of the kitten I have been feeding for weeks. It was drenched from the rain, but when I put a plastic bag around it to carry it from the street I felt that it was still warm. Although the kitten had been one of the many strays in the area, it was solitary and precious and friendly towards me. I took care of it Saturday.

I met some friends on Saturday for coffee, met a local youth leader to talk about ideas for activities, projects, and his plans in education. Afterwards, I ran, climbed a hillside, studied a bit of Bulgarian, and went to see about Costa. I stayed at his apartment while my laundry finished, and watched Edward Scissorhands. Years ago, I committed a cinematic sin - I passed judgement on this Tim Burton film after having seen only a small portion of it. My sister Victoria told me since that it is a beautiful movie, but I believed it to be silly because of the few odd scenes I'd watched. How wrong I was! Tim Burton's movies are mythic and wonderous. One should never watch them except in their entirety. What a hauntingly curious tale, explaining something so simple - snow! This is how I want to tell stories.

During the night, I had a terrible dream that a friend was in trouble. Something sinister had come, siezed my friend and carried him/her towards certain peril. I tried to save my friend, pushing through forgotten obstacles and rushing to their aide. I was frantic, trying to power my way towards the unknown evil, breaking my arm in the process. I remember arriving somewhere to find everything tranquil and settled. My friend was in no danger after all, and found my anxiety amusing. I woke up shaking, still feeling the anxiety. I rarely experience such intense emotion in dreams. It was unsettling. After awhile, I went back to sleep.

Today, I woke up late to a phonecall. I ran several miles before I finished my laundry and met my landlady in town to pay rent and talk. I worked or re-writing my project for local Kindergartens and Schools, and looked after Costa. Tomorrow, I will go to the local District government and see if my request for community contribution to the project was or will be approved. I have asked for about 900 Leva ($600). Off to cook supper and then sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home