Friday, January 12, 2007

Out of the Frying Pan....

I am in Bulgaria once again after a whirlwind visit to my homeland, the San Francisco Bay Area. I'd forgotten how much I love that place. It was great to see family and friends and to get some long-awaited business done. Some thing I was prepared for, others I did not expect. When I return at the end of this year, I will be looking for a car again - that I expected. The cleanliness of everything - that I expected, but it still surprised me. The absolute waste that pervades US culture - that surprised me, though I have always seen it. How can people throw so much away? How can people spend so much money on simple entertainment? How can real estate be so expensive, even in comparison to average wages?

I am recovering from illness. I developed infections in my sinuses and throat when I got back and have been bed-ridden for awhile. I found mold creeping through the paint in my apartment and I also have bathroom odors from other floors. Quite a nice welcome back to Bulgarian life. This week, I've met good friends for dinner and pow-wowed with my counterparts about good prospects for projects, so life and business here seems to be taking off well again despite the little problems.

Stara Zagora is slowly getting cold, though it is not nearly in the low temperatures it posted last year. The city continues to elude snowfalls and the sun makes almost daily appearances. I have not gone back to my good old cafe "Amadeus" for my Viennese Coffee, but I might this afternoon. That's it for now from this side. Take care and may all who read this have a lucky weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home