Wednesday, February 07, 2007

What am I doing?

My current interests: Working out, Mere Christianity, LOST, Viennese coffee, making fun of site-mates.

Working out:

I have not been running much. When I ran in the cold, I got sick. Consequently, I have decided to keep my runs short (1-2 miles) and spend time in the gymn. I joined a fitness hall that is adequately equipped, cheap, and close to home. Most of the clientelle is younger, but they keep away from me and let me just work out. Once or twice, they have obviously tried to show-off or intimidate, but I ignore their efforts to get and keep my attention. One young man started to punch a bag as I walked by, but he was hitting it with vigor and at angles. His wrists weren't straight, and I told him that if he hits the bag that way, sooner or later he would break them. He was surprised I spoke Bulgarian and asked about me. No problems after that. I lift weights and run 3 or 4 days a week.

Mere Christianity:

Mere Christianity is a pithy, dense book. It has so much meaning and has had such an effect on me that I have taken months to read it. CS Lewis makes so many important points that I cannot ignore, he so plainly and logically discusses what christianity means to him and many thoughtful christians, and it is so important to me as a christian to be careful in my reading, that I have trouble reading too much of it at any one time. Consequently, I read little of the book at any time and think about it frequently and persistently. I will finish it soon, and pass it on. Thanks, Greg, for passing it to me.

LOST:

The television series LOST has become one of my obsessions. I was not interested in the show until last November, when I inherited copies of the first 9 episodes of the second season. I had ignored it, even when friends had raved about the quality of the show. When I was bored one evening and had no other new material, I popped the DVD in and began to watch. It grew on me, and by the 6th or 7th episode, I was hooked. Recently, I borrowed the entire first season from a friend. It cleared up a few points for me, but I'm less taken now with the plot or the characters. It wasn't really necessary to see, though I am glad to have seen it. Not many people seem to really like the characters I do, nor dislike certain characters as much as I do. After having seen the first season, I think the whole group would have killed each other off. The plotholes are more apparent to me. In any case, I'm still looking forward to seeing the rest of the second season. It's a good, safe escape and the scenery is beautiful.

Other stuff:

I have Viennese coffee almost every day at my favorite cafe, and the few minutes of alone-time has almost become ritualistic. My closest friends in Bulgaria have begun to make fun of each other, but in a friendly, comfortable way (most of the time, anyway). Am I the butt of any jokes? Of course I am. More on that later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home