Thursday, December 29, 2005

Between the Holidays

For Christmas, I went back to my host family's place in Septemvri. They were generous and hospitable, and I felt at home. Indeed, I already forgot some of the niceties of smaller town life: seeing framiliar people everywhere, the gentle friendliness of people at the cafe, the small-town excitement of the weekly bazaar. On Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights we had or went to Nagosti - an informal dinner visit. It was too much for me, and I had far too much food. Remember, in Bulgaria, they eat all night. Nagosti might start at 6:00 PM and last until midnight or later, eating little bits the whole time. Normally it might be fine, but everybody loves to feed 'the American' it seems, and it feels insulting to refuse.

But I complain too much. The food was terrific and the company doubly so. I was able to speak more Bulgarian, which delighted some of the extended host Family. I recognized that accents in Septemvri are different than the accents in Stara Zagora. Or, maybe that is just an excuse for my lack of understanding. On that note, I am renewing my efforts at studying the language. The Bulgarians say I have a good accent (which means I am learning to mumble well) but I need a larger vocabulary. I've made cards and have perhaps 1,000 to study; the nuber grows daily. Deep down, I just wish speaking would simply come to me.

The snow covers the ground in Septemvri. When I came back to Stara Zagora, I found it had melted here in my absence. The temperature has climbed back to tennis-shoe levels, and the sores on my feet from the new boots are healing. Work is on hold until the New Year because the kids are out of school, the parliament is closed, and my other boss is in Sofia until then. So, I'm off to explore the city parks now and enjoy the evening before I cook dinner. Ciao, everyone.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alex!
Grandma said you called on Christmas and she started crying, saying "He's just so far away." We decided it was the first time you've been away at Christmas, right? Glad I was able to talk to you a little while. You sounded tired.
Love, your sister

10:22 AM  
Blogger summer08 said...

HI! We recieved your package and enjoyed the Folk Tales! We plan on sending a donation to such a worthy cause! We are so proud of you all in the peace corps! Becca's MOM Jane Grudzina!

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home